I found the Why Don't We Like the Human Body by Barbara Ehrenreich the most interesting, because I never thought about the types of things she talked about before. She brings up that we have abused our bodies through sex, murder, and food. At first I thought she was nuts, but when I looked further into it she was right.
Our society has an addiction to violence and horror. Her argument is that the horror movies now show that we have some to hate the human body because of all the gore in the movies. People still go and see the movies because they like that it is not happening to them. Or are they really just mad that they don't have the perfect body, so they like seeing the human body tortured
.
Sex was once considered as a thrill and now it is deadly. Viruses can be spread through sex and kill someone.
Food ruins are bodies. Obesity is a huge problem and only growing. Now we can't eat for pleasure, only to stay fit and healthy.
The main point that she comes down to is that we need to treat our bodies well. Her information is informative and valuable. It opens our eyes to look further into why we do the things we do.



Why did you originally think she was nuts? Did she just not provide enough supporting information, or did you just not want to accept her ideas?
ReplyDeleteI think it was a little of both. I just didn't make any sense how she would put these things together. There wasn't enough proof, and it was so wrong that I didn't want to believe it.
ReplyDelete