Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Reality Television





Drama, romance, or action are a few reasons why people watch reality television. The objective in The Real World or Jersey Shore is to put strangers in the house and see what happens. Either the people in the house are fighting, partying, or just acting stupid to draw attention. People go on this show because of the fame, money, and fun. In all of these shows the people in them are in their mid to late twenties. They are also always very attractive and most of them are white, but there is usually one person is black or gay in every episode. What does this say about out culture? It says that if you are in that age group this is how you should act. But in reality you should act however you want. These shows are a sort of role model for people. This is what you should do, how you should act, or what you should wear.  Viewers also develop a view of postmodernism. Postmodern is the view that social and cultural reality of making up reality as we go. All in all television shows have a great influence on our culture. 

4 comments:

  1. I think that the main points why reality tv is on tv is dumb. People are obsessed with drama and it ridiculous how addicting these shows are for some people

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree they are ridiculous, but you have to admit they are interesting to watch when you are bored. I might not follow them, but from time to time I do watch an episode or two, just because nothing else better is on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think reality TV can be dangerous for some people who can be easily influenced in believing that this is how people should act. Many young people today seem to be trying to imitate the cast of Jersey Shore and that is very disturbing. I like some reality TV shows but I know it is purely for entertainment and really not full of that much reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree that you should "act however you want." I think it's important to have social rules. If everybody did whatever they wanted, what's to say that pedophilia is wrong? Or that druk driving isn't okay?

    ReplyDelete