Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ideal Beauty

Advertising affects everything about how people imagine ideal beauty. First of all we need to take advertising seriously. Ads sell values, images, sex, romance, relationships, and more. More importantly they show who we are and should be. Ads tell us that the most important thing should be is how we look, which takes time, energy, and money. Men don't have to worry about such things. Their bodies are not scrutinized, so why should women's be?
With ads it seems like to be feminine is to be devalued. You see ads with women with hands over their mouths because it shows that women don't have a say. You also see older women dressed and acting like children in ads. The women are usually acting sexy while posing, meaning that innocence is sexy? Men on the other are always active in ads, while women are passive. What does this say about our culture? Does that mean that men are more dominant?  I don't think so! When women are not passive in an ad is usually involves race. So this means the level of dominance starts with white males, white females, and then black males and black females? Why do we always have to put levels or find out that is dominant? Can't we just all live together and not worry about things like that? I believe that it is impossible to accomplish.
Teens are seriously becoming effected with the advertising. Their self esteem is really low. They always think there is something wrong with them. I knew when I was a teen that I wanted to look perfect, just like the women in the magazines. Present day teens are becoming hyper sexualized, because of all the advertising. You always see beautiful women advertised everywhere, but can you really attain the ideal beauty. No, advertising makes it impossible to attain ideal beauty. Everyone looks different, so that means everyone will have a different quality that will make them beautiful. Every woman is beautiful in their own way, they just have to find it and not let others tell them differently. Perfection is impossible to attain, so don't try and attain it.
Below is a picture of what is considered ideal beauty. Do you agree with this image?



2 comments:

  1. What do you see as the connection between femininity and sexuality? Is femininity devalued at the same time that sex becomes greatly valued? I ask because your last post menioned sex as a major force in our culture, and I am thinking that there is a connection to some of your ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see femininity as fragile, innocent, beautiful, and kind. I see sexuality as more of aggression, bold, hot(perfect), and desirable. The only thing connecting sexuality and femininity is they both can be represented by a woman. I do believe femininity is devalued when sexuality is valued. For example for a man they can have sexuality, but for a man to be feminine is gay. Same with women, but it is not as devalued as it is for men.

    ReplyDelete