Thursday, April 21, 2011

Coolness



Coolness to me is something or someone who goes against the social norm, but too crazy and either acts or looks unique and interesting. It would also be something i'd like to wear or do. 


Dictionary.com has a couple interesting definitions which are:


1.permitting such a sensation: a cool dress
2.unaffected by emotions; disinterested; dispassionate: Shemade a cool appraisal of all the issues in the dispute.
3.lacking in interest or enthusiasm: a cool reply to an invitation.


Chuck Klosterman uses three subjects to explain his definition of coolness. First he talks about calculated adult coolness. Which they choose their own personalized version of non populist cool and they try or plan to be cool. Secondly he talks about teenagers coolness. Teenagers avoid anything with being uncool. For example wal-mart clothes are uncool and aeropostal, american eagle, and maurices are cool. Lastly he talks about aging hipster coolness. They try to stay relevant by appreciating obvious youth culture. Chuck makes a big deal about exclusivity and how it is not for everyone.


Chuck and my definition are very similar in ways we both relate coolness back to clothes and style. Overall there are many different definitions of coolness, but the most commonly used is if someone looks or acts cool, hip, or the newest style.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you threw in the actual definition of "cool". I think we all can relate to what cool is when it comes to being in school. One definately does not want to be the "uncool" one in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I liked that you put the actual definition of "cool" and I also agree that cool is what everybody wants when they are in school. However, I myself failed to put an actual definition to cool. I could only say that it is something that is materialistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why everyone wants to be cool when by definition it is being disinterested and dispassionate. If we were all cool, we wouldn't really care and that would be a sad place. And by not caring no one would really be cool since there would be no one to say what is cool or not. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a little confused about your opening sentence: "Coolness to me is something or someone who goes against the social norm, but too crazy and either acts or looks unique and interesting." Klosterman would disagree that something "too crazy" is cool. In that way, your definitions are actually very different. Later on you write that your definitions are very similar, and that confuses me, because of your opening statements.

    ReplyDelete