Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Country vs Hip-Hop

Country and Hip-Hop are both different and similar.


Hip-Hop is mostly about the lyrics and bass of the music. Hip-Hop is usually about the rapper talking about past experiences. Most of the songs are about dealing with drugs, guns, and violence. The problem with that is the authenticity with the rapper's experience. It is hard to prove that the rapper's stories are authentic. Hip-Hop began in the 1970s in urban New York. It usually found in poor communities and people used to get together and dance. Hip-Hop sells the celebrity lifestyle of women, violence and clothing style.

Country is real music. Meaning that the performers actually play an instrument and it sounds good. The lyrics in Country music are always clear and relatable which makes it easy for people to both understand and make sense of. Majority of the songs also tell a story. Country also has a problem authenticity. A lot of songs considered country these days are actually alternative country, which isn't authentic. The artists have to establish the roots and stay true to the source, which is hard for most artists. Why does country music sell? It is real music and people can understand the stories and relate to them. 

3 comments:

  1. I dont agree that only country is real music, I think hip hop is as well. I think not only country tells a story but so does hip-hop. Not all hip hop is about drugs, violence, and guns, some tell other stories as well. I myself am not a country fan, however I was one while growing up. I guess I just like the beat of the hip hop more than country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only country isn't the only one with real music, but it is more commonly found that country is consistently has more instruments than any other type of music. I do like hip hop and rock music also. I understand not all hip hop is about drugs and violence. On the radio the drug and violence songs are more often played. I think that says something about our culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is authenticity such a concern for these singers/rappers? Is the music itself fundamentally different if the person singing it doesn't relate to it specifically?

    ReplyDelete